Wednesday, April 7, 2010

These Are A Few of My Favorite Things: Overstock Edition

Like most of you, money is tight around The Southern Nest. We might look like we do a lot of renovations and decoration, but most of the posts you see have happened over a period of a couple of years. In fact, we really didn’t start decorating our house until a year ago. We did major structural work over the course of three months when we first bought the house, then we sat out for a year from doing anything to the house.Something about major home renovations really deflates your motivation (and budget!).


Once we got back into the game, we realized that we couldn’t (and didn’t) want to buy crazy expensive accessories.Some of our favorite places to score deals are Overstock, Target, JC Penney Clearance, Etsy, TJ Maxx and Pottery Barn Outlet. In honor of our cheapness (aka inability to spend an entire paycheck on home décor), I am featuring my 5 favorite things from a few places.


Overstock is a great place to look because the inventory is constantly changing. Oh, and shipping is CRAZY cheap (like $2.95 for your ENTIRE order).You might remember that we got our bed and memory foam mattress from Overstock when we first moved.


1. This 5x8 rug will run you a little over $200. Even though you could probably find another rug cheaper, I like that the pattern would make such an impact in a small room.

2. This shower curtain looks white in the picture, but it is actually a subtle zebra pattern in a neutral, light gray. Jon has a serious hatred of animal print, so you won’t find this in our house. But, if I were a stylish bachelorette, I would totally be rocking this shower curtain in my bathroom.

3. I love these drinking glasses with their emerald green rims. To get the most bang for your buck, I would probably use them as little vases throughout the house to showcase some small arrangements. Or, you could use them as votive holders for year-round utility.

4. The print on this comforter set is graphic without being completely overwhelming. I like the blue the best, but they come in a bunch of different colors, including brown, green, black and spice.


5. And, finally, I love this contemporary glass computer desk. I don’t think it would fit in our home décor style, but I do love the look of it. It would work great in a small space where a wood piece might overpower the room.


Sincerely,

Megan

1 comment:

  1. Oh, dear - you definitely don't want that glass desk! Trust me on this one. My boss let me pick ANY desk I wanted for our office when we remodeled, and I chose that one. I am constantly using window cleaner to remove finger prints and other gross-looking marks (eraser bits, glue, dirt, etc.). Not to mention if you're not careful, you could scratch the glass... I have gouges all over one side because people would pick things off the floor haphazardly and put them on the desk without being careful, and scraping them across the glass top with bits of dirt/sand underneath. And there's no storage space whatsoever! You'd be surprised how much you might miss a desk with drawers. This is a desk you grow to hate.

    ReplyDelete